- Binders: I prefer 1″, I choose 3, each with different colors one per class. This color will ultimately be the designated color for that class, so my planner will reflect this.
- Loose Leaf paper
- Bullet Journal (Planner): I will explain in a separate post why I use a bullet journal and what it is. (Link Comping Soon)
- Printer Papaer
- Printer Ink
- Colored Notebook Paper: Mostly for my own enjoyment. I found purple paper at the store and had to have it. Its literally purple loose leaf paper. I will use it for notes, assignments and curly my own fun.
- Dividers: A set of 5 for each binder, I prefer the erasable kind.
- Brush tip Markers: These are obviously not essential but I like them for my planner.
- Post it Flags: I use thease to bookmark pages in my textbooks. So handy and they don’t damage the books I intend to sell back.
- Broad line, Fine tip Markers: Again, not essential unless your name is Kyra and you can’t leave the house without some sort of marker.
- Correction Tape
- Pens: After years of pens I have finally found my pen true love. Pilot V5 Precise retractable are my favorite. They wrote really fine and last a long time and the ink comes out smoothly and doesn’t smudge like at all. For me I like Black or Blue Ink, as fun as other colors are I find them harder to read.
- Pencils: I like .9 led, and mechanical since I write very hard. Papermate is my favorite because I feel its the most durable.
- Mini Notebook: Not essential, I just thought it was super cute and Im addicted to buying cute school supplies, I will likely us this as my next journal once my current one gets filled up.
- Sticky Notes
- Pencil Pouches: I MADE THEASE! Yes, I made thew fur pouch and the other lambs and pinapples one. I can never find a pencil pouch that I love so I made one! Two pockets for all my goodies and it will fit a graphing calculator.
- Starbucks Cup: I bring some sort of water bottle to school so I have a cup so that I’m not always looking for a drinking fountain. Starbucks one is nice cuz it’s venti and holds a lot, also insulated but it’s top heavy, beware.
- Backpack: I have had my North Face Recon for about 5 year now. I love it. Its still in perfect condition despite my wear and tear, though it could stand to be washed, it’s black so no one knows this! I also like that it’s only 2 pockets with a laptop sleeve in the biggest pocket.
- Calculator: Need that graphing calculator for pre-calculus mine is a hunter green, the theory behind this is its a rare color, therefore hard to steal.
- Headphones: Noise cancelling, they work as earplugs too.
- Chargers: I pack my phone charger and laptop charger to school everyday, Id rather be prepared than have a dead phone or laptop.
- Emergency Kit: IF you don’t have one of these make one. I will link you to the post I made on emergency Kits. (http://welcometokyraslife.blogspot.com/2017/03/back-to-school-emergency-kit.html)
I am a huge believer in the “Be Prepared” slogan of the Boy Scouts. I was also raised by a Dad who was always prepared for everything you could ever need in every situation. (Though i’m still not sure how this man is always prepared without a purse, just saying.)
I think I learned early on in my college career that everyone should have a backpack emergency kit because I needed one. What got me to thinking that I needed this was several occasions where I though “Sure I wish I had…” I also commuted to school via the city bus and was 1 hour of buses away from home so I had no choice but to be prepared for everything.
I encourage everyone to make their own emergency kit. I guarantee though it will be packed along more days that it will be used, there will come an occasion where you have something you desperately need and you, or a friend in need will be thankful you have it. I should also mention that this is a girl’s version and a Kyra version. Feel free to add and subtract things was you see fit. Also, your friends will thank you, I would say about half the uses of my emergency kit are for a friend.
- Tampons/Pads: I have learned the hard way that it’s better have them than to not have them, and yes I say both, because though you might prefer one, there will always be an occasion where someone or yourself needs the other.
- Hand sanitizer: Never know when you will need this.
- lotion: not essential but still one of the most used things in my kit. I carry a simple hand lotion but it’s still nice to have.
- Kleenex: Sleeves do not count.
- Tylenol: There will come a day where something hurts and you will be distracted by the pain when you need to focus.
- Hair Ties and Bobby Pins: For the days you wore it down and it’s driving you insane.
- Wipes: Never know when you could use a wet one. I usually end up using them to clean my laptop but they are good for may things.
- Cold Medicine: Nothing, and I mean nothing is worse than trying to study with a runny nose. I recommend the water tablet Alkaseltzer cold medicine, it works in 15 min and last about 4-6 hours. Yes, it taste terrible but it works so fast.
- Allergy medicine: Never know when those stupid allergies are going to spring up.
- Chapstick: Chapped lips suck.
- Bandaids: They fix a blister, a paper cut and leet you from bleeding all over.
- Spare Underware: There is no way to explain why I carry these with out saying this. SO, if you are not in to TMI skip to the next one…. Ever start your period unexpectedly, nothing feel better than clean underwear and a few wet wipes. It’s nothing competed to a full shower which is what you really want but in a desperate situation is helps. Always bring white ones incase you wore white pants the day you need them.
- Zip Lock Bag: Good to have, many uses.
- Grocery Bag: For when you acquire too many things to fit in your backpack.
- Phone Charging cord and Wall adapter/Cigarette adapter: You or someone you know will always need this one. Its the most used in my emergency kit and I totally think everyone needs to carry a charger.
- Cash: Put 10$ in (Preferably in 9 one’s and four quarters) there and forget it’s there, only use it for the one time you are in dire need of a drink from a vending machine, or need parking change or something like that. Remember cash works when a debit card doesn’t, so it could save you there. I say keep ten so you have enough for an emergency meal if needed.
- Medication: If you take daily medication always bring a set with you incase you forget. I take anxiety meds and if I forget them at home it really screws me up so its nice to have a backup. I also keep a spare inhaler in there just incase.
- Nail Clippers: Every get a hang nail and you can’t fix it? This will solve that problem. Preferably some with a file attached.
This is a weird flashback post, but I think it’s cool to look back and see what I was thinking. So This post is about the kind of parent I wanna be when I become a parent someday, if i become a parent someday. As you know I do wanna adopt someday, and I am on the fence about birthing a biological child. But, if God blesses me with children I will be thankful and raise them the best I can.
Thursday, February 24th 2011
No i don’t have any.. I would like kids eventually like in 15 years or so… but i wanna get married first (that;s how god intended it) and to get married you need a man.. Don’t got one yet. God has a very special guy picked from me though, he has every thing i ever wanted in a and through my eyes he is perfect. Can’t wait to meet him he sounds pretty great huh! Sence he is perfect he will want kids too. I don’t know if i wanna have kids it sound like alot of mess and pain and idk icky. I do want to adopt fro sure. I may Chang my mind about having kids btu i defiantly wan to adopt. i recently got to see the adoption process up close. Some friends of ours adopted a little girl from china. They where telling us what happens to kids who are not adopted and i just breaks my heart. I think i would like to adopt from another country cuz if ur an orphan in the us u have hope from a future… in some other country’s you don’t. Also i think i want to adopt a kid with some sort of problem, i will have teh resources to help them maybe a kid who had a hole in there heart or needs glasses or is diabetic or some thing that is keeping them from being adopted. I don;t think i could handle a kid who had some catastrophic problem i don;t know that i am strong enough emotionally.. Btu Jeremiah 32:27 So you know in the end is will all be orchestrated by god. he will choose the kid. He had prepared me to adopt though. Sence i was a child i under stood the concept of family. Family – the people who love you, wan the best fro you, and will do what ever it take to help you th ones who stand by tour side no matter what end even when ur crazy they say i love you. That never in my mind included having to be your blood. after all your spouse is not ur blood relative (I hope they arn’t). I asked my mom the other day “do you care if your grand children are Chinese or black or a dwarf or have a cleft palet?” she replyed “can i still spoil them rotten?” I said “i expect you too” she said “i don’t care at all then.” Plus if i adopt kids i could get them at the pladough age instead of the crying and sleeping every 5 seconds age.
Also kids names.. i like weird names… like mine. I would also like to have all my kids names to be from teh bible. So far i like Jeremyah (for a girl myah fro short). I also liek Ezra for a boy or girl… idk i would need my husbands inut on it.. Btu if i did adopt a child i want them to keep a name that has some of their heritage in ti like there middle name be something of their heritage.
WEll thoes are my thoughts. Ttyl
50 Things I Will Do As A Parent
Saturday August 27th 2011
1. Love unconditionally
2. Spank as as a punishment
3. Set rules that go for all the kids no matter what!
4. Have all my kids baptized in the name of god
5. If it’s rated pg a parent needs to be there. If it’s rated pg 13 I will watch it first nd decide how old you need to be.
6. Listen to my kids iPods and set parental locks when ever necessary.
7. Feed healthy snacks daily
8. Let them wear what ever they want and celebrate it. ” yes Jeremiah u can wear a a tutu and and jeans and two different socks and the hot pink t shirt”
9. Let my kids make mistakes ( with in reason) So thai can learn form them.
10. Tell them i love them every day.
11. Bribe when necessary
12. Will institute nap time as long as humanly possible.
13. Will let my kid put katchup on toast if they truly like it.
14. Will read to my kids ( even if it’s the last thing i want to do)
15. Will not allow my kids to watch tv all day.
16. Not allowed to have pop unless mommy or daddy says so.
17. Communicate with my husband to prevent “mom says no” daddy mommy said yes”
18. Will go out of my way to make their dreams come true.
19. Will make sure they are breathing in the middle of the night.
20. Will not allow them in mommy and daddys room with out permishion.
21. House rule never go to bed angry
22. Will have my child do chours, not for an allounce.
23. Will lead my kids and set an example on loving god.
24. Will buy my kids tous for no reason once in a wile.
25. Will follow through with punishments
26. Will let them help cook dinner
27. Will expect them to give their best in schol and celebrate it. Even if it’s a c.
28. Will not let my kid ride with any student drivers.
29. Will not allow sleep overs at friends house with out meeting the parents.
30. Will allow my kids to pain their nails black. My sons too if they choose.
31. Will allow age appropriate makeup
32. Will tell my kids the truth. Even if it needs to be watered down to age appropriateness
33. Will treat my kids their age.
34. Will have age appropriTe expections for them.
35. Will listen to my kids
36.will have one on one time with them
37. Will friend my kids. As a parent.
38. Will take them to fun places.
39. Will tell them the truth hat no matter what santa exists and take hemmto sit on his lap.
40. Will have family traditions
41. Will be a fun, cool mom
42. Will set bed times
43.will have mommy and daddy alone time
44. Will make grandma And grandpa huge parts of their lives
45. Will teach them that emotion is not a weakness
46.will always reward honesty
47.will feed them miracle whip becaue it’s better!
48. Will give them the opportunity to play sports
49.will keep them clean, but a mud bath once a summer is acceptable
50. Will throw food back if it’s thrown at me.
I have ADHD. I have had it since I was a little kid. I remember feeling symptoms as young as 3 years old. I wanna explain (mostly for my enjoyment) how I fight the symptoms, the tools that I use to fight them and the tricks I have learned in my nearly 25 years of fighting this terrible terrible thing. I think, or I would hope, that my tricks and tips would help others maybe manage their adult ADHD just a little better. Lets dive in!
Fight the Power: How I fight the symptoms of Adult ADHD
The following are the symptoms of ADHD that I feel I fight on a daily basis. Now I need to have my readers remember that I am also autistic so some of my symptoms are mixed/exacerbated by having the duel issues. I am also a adult female so that can change the presentation of the symptoms. I will try to separate the symptoms the best I can.
- Anxiety: I have lived with anxiety since as far back as I can remember. I remember feeling anxiety in my earliest memory. My earliest memory was the day Allie (my little sister) was born. We were on the rooftop parking complex at Deaconess Hospital in Spokane, WA. My Grandma and Dad where there discussing who was going to watch me as my Dad was needed with my Mom and new sister. They had decided I would go with my Grandma and we would come back later. I remember feeling anxious that I was going to be away from my Dad, anxious that my schedule, my normal was being interrupted by something I didn’t understand. I remember throwing a fit over it and not wanting my Dad to go. Then my Grandma in all her Grandma magical powers offered that we would go to Toys R Us, and get a new toy. That seemed to change my tune. I fight anxiety on a daily basis. I think that the years that I went undiagnosed (nearly 21 years) lead to my anxiety being as bad as it is. Anyway, here is how I fight it. Medication. Yes, I take medication for anxiety. More on medication later in this post. Now, medication does not rid me of anxiety it in my opinion takes it down a level. From being on the verge of a meltdown constantly to being in a range where I can still feel it but yet I can manage it. Now, I manage anxiety in a few other ways. One being I talk my self/reason my self out of it. Say I hear a loud noise unexpectedly and suddenly feel anxious (sorry for the aspie example) I can reason that everything is okay. I can look around and see that no one else is caused anxiety over the noise and if they are okay and I can see that then I must be okay. Things to that effect. For the times I am anxious for an unknown reason and alone I think of my kitties. (Yes, they are registered emotional support animals, more on them later) I can reason that they are home, safe, warm and together and that puts me at ease. I often leave the house and get anxious, especially if i haven’t taken my medication yet. So I usually walk my self through what the cats are doing. They are likely playing or sleeping on Allie’s bed, etc. Cat things. They are okay. They are safe and happy and fed and warm and have everything they need. For some reason reassuring my self that they are okay gives myself permission to be okay one in the same. I know that may sound weird but it works for me. Finally, I manage anxiety through prayer. Say I am well, anywhere and anxious for any reason. I can pray about that. I can ask God to take the anxiety away, or help me reason that I have no reason to be anxious. Some how knowing that I am not alone that God is there helping me takes the edge off. Other anti anxiety methods include calming music, fidget toys and caffeine. More on equipment later.
- Chronic Bordom: Sadly, I have suffered from chromic boredom forever. If I don’t have something to do I am instantly bored. So I keep myself busy. I am rarely doing absolutely nothing. Only time I can think of where I do absolutely nothing is when I am asleep. I can’t even get through a movie without doing something else while I’m watching (with the exception of movies in a theater, some how there I can focus on just the movie, don’t know why) Mostly it’s my hands that are bored and not so much my brain. My ADHD brain is never board and never stops. I always thought I would be good in solitary confinement because I would still have my brain and I would just run through scenarios of escape, write stories, think through concepts etc. Like I said my brain never stops. Now when I have down time I usually watch Netflix and do something with my hands like make things. Sewing projects, cardboard and hot glue projects, color pictures, crochet, study different things like now i’m studying for my upcoming math class. I also do non-productive things like play games on my phone, paint my nails, write blog posts lol etc. Some how the combination of Netflix and thinking through whatever I’m doing takes enough of my focus up to be relaxing to me. Now ask anyone in my family, I am sill chronically bored (and complain about it daily). Surprisingly I get bored doing the same things so I often need to switch it up. I usually take suggestions on tasks from my family and somehow find something to do with my hands. One piece of advice to the chronically bored, is this. What you do in your leisure time does not have to be productive. It’s your time. You don’t have to make something. You don’t have to complete something. Write a short story for the hell of it, you don’t even have to correct the spelling or let anyone read it just wrote it for the sake of something to do. That being said being productive feels good too so if that’s your fancy clean, do the dishes, laundry, something. As long as tour moving you will be satisfied so just stay moving. If all else fails, Pinterest.
- Disorganization/forgetfulness/lateness: I feel like the three things listed here are all related, therefore I am going to talk about them together. Up until the 4th grade I was a textbook disorganized/forgetful person which lead to being late. In the 4th grade I got so sick of people telling me that I was disorganized, losing things, forgetful, procrastinator etc. That I decided to be the opposite of all these things. I took all the things that teachers and my parents where saying to me to heart. I take everything to heart actually, I don’t know why but I do. So people calling me lazy, disorganized, and all those things hurt my feelings to a point where I decided that I was not going to let that happen any longer. So I choose to change, and over compensate for my down falls, sadly at an expense to my anxiety. I became the most organized person you have ever met. I actually used for a label marker for my birthday. What happened over time, obviously non of this was instant, was that I started seeing results. My grades got better mostly. I took pride in my work and I was deriving satisfaction from near protection, it didn’t matter to me that I was killing myself to do better, it only mattered that I wasn’t being called lazy anymore. I was not lazy, I didn’t have the natural ability to be organized. Here is how I stay organized and don’t forget thing and never show up late. First of all I use a planner like its life support. I write EVERYTHING in my planner. From dates, and work schedule, car payments, birthdays, reminders, tasks, ideas, lists, TV shows, everything. Work and personal life. I have become the master of the stick note. I write everything on stick notes and put the notes on the appropriate day in my planner. Now, to keep from losing the planner I keep it in my purse with my keys (can’t leave the house without keys, therefore can’t leave without my planner) Now I also keep my purse in my room right next to my laid out outfit for the next day therefor I can’t get dressed without seeing it. I also got in the habit of doing a check list before I leave, Wallet, Keys, Phone, med, planner. Helps that all those things go in my purse. So no purse, no go. Now for this to work you have to put things back where they go. Planner goes in purse, therefore it must go back in the purse after i have used it. That training took time. But it’s now extremely rare that I forget things. Second thing, I write things down as soon as I think of them, yes this takes longer but its worth it. My favorite thing is to send my self a text message and don’t open it till I have done it. Because I look at my phone so much and it hard leaves my hand I look at it and think “Oh a message” go to look and you can see it without opening it and then I remember. Once it’s been done I open the message. Works good for things you need to remember in the morning, like “Feed the cats” or “pack a lunch”, or even “Grab your planner” IT seems like a lot of extra work but again I am a trained professional in going the extra mile to compensate for my forgetful/disorganized nature. As far as the late thing, try this. Add extra time to every process. So Example) In the morning I set my alarm for 1 hour before I need to leave even though I can shower and get read in about 40 min. I also give my self 45 min to get to work when in reality it takes 28 min. Also try telling your self you don’t have snooze. You have one opportunity to get up and so you have to take it or you miss work. And if you don’t wanna get out of bed in the morning after your alarm has gone off, say a quick prayer for your day with your eyes OPEN. OPEN eyes, repeat OPEN eyes. This way you don’t fall back asleep but still buy 5 min of laying there time.
- Depression: This is hard for me to talk about. But I will try my best. It’s really easy to think “Ugh, I’m not getting this and i’m making mistakes and forgetting things and I’m bored and anxious and ugh poor me” I am here to tell you that this is a trap. Now I am a person that puts on a front and pretends i’m just peachy and everything is fine, when inside I’m beating my self up for the small mistake I made. I have lived periods of time in my life in total depression and having ADHD is hard, so its easy to get down on things. You can’t let yourself do this. You have the authority to feel what you want to. You have the authority to change your outlook. Now this is hard. Here is an example. Yesterday I made a mistake at work and didn’t scan a drivers license and a had to call a customer and ask them to come back in so I could scan their drivers license. I felt horrible. I was so mad at myself for forgetting and causing such a huge mess that affected other people. I was driving home and I was beating my self up. I continued to beat my self up till I talked to my Mommy. She reminded me that I’m new at work it was a simple mistake and that I needed to let it go. She was right (don’t tell her I said that, just kidding Mommy, you were right ) So once I talked to her I decided I get the rest of the night (it was close to bed time anyway) to feel sorry for myself and beat myself up but as soon as I wake up the next morning I’m done. It’s over and I have to move forward. The mistake was corrected so I was not to think about it any further and make an extra effort to not make the same mistake again. You have the power, don’t forget that. Being depressed is hard. But you can choose little manageable steps that bring you out of it.
- Trouble concentrating/focusing: This is my own personal nemesis. I am the queen of distracted and lack of focus. I have to say that the number one way I manage this is though mediation. More on that later. Second way I focus is caffeine, don’t tell my doctor I said that but caffeine is a huge help. Though I don’t recommend it. It calms my brain down to a dull static of thought and allows me to concentrate better. Third thing I do do focus is constantly remind myself to focus. Kyra, focus. Oh look a cow, cows say Moo, I’m allergic to milk, KYRA, Focus. Over and over. Yes that’s what its like in my brain. Driving is the time I need to focus the most I think and I struggle with that so to help I play music that I know and sing along. Some how that keeps my bring busy enough that I can focus on driving without all the thoughts taking over. Try it, taking up focus helps.
- Impulsiveness: So I am hesitant to include this in my post. Yet, it’s such a problem for ADHD people that I feel I have a responsibility to talk about it even though I don’t have an answer. I have no answer for this one. I am extremely impulsive especially with buying things I don’t need. It’s cost me tons of money. The best thing I can say is find your weak spot. Mine is shopping, so I take people with me that can tell me no you don’t need that, usually a second guess is all I need to see clearly.
- Trouble Sleeping: I have a one word fix for this one. Melatonin. This has changed my life. I use to take hours, no exaggeration, hours to fall asleep. Then if I woke up in the middle of the night I was doomed to be up all night. Now thanks to my little buddy melatonin, I pop three before bed hit the pillow and 20 min later I’m asleep and out cold all night. If I do wake to like go to the bathroom or something I can easily go back to sleep.
Tools of the trade:
- Fidget Toys: I love fidget toys. Something to busy your hands when you are trying to focus.
- Planner: Already talked about this. I buy most of my fidget toys from stimtastic.co. My favorite is their spinner rings. I have the infinity one.
- Emotional Support Animals: Lulu and Grayson are my saving grace. They are a constant reminder that I am okay and that everything is okay.
- Anxiety Medication: I actually take two meds for it. One to help the physical effects of anxiety (heart racing, heightened blood pressure, etc.) and one for the psychological part of it. If you are curious the meds names specifically let me know I’m happy to share, just not publicly. Meds changed my life, through finding the right drug and the dosage took over a year, of trial and error I think I am finally on a med that is changing my life for the better. Been on it for about 2 years now.
- ADHD Medication: I have been on ADHD medication for about four going on five years now. I know its a touchy subject but I am pro medication, in the right situation. Meds make it so my brain stops running so fast. It helps me focus and allows me to pay attention to details without trying so hard. I have been through three different mediations in my few years and so far I like the one I am on now the best. How it works is you take it when you get up and it works for about 4-6 hours. Then you take a second dose and then you go to sleep and do it all over again.
- Melatonin: See Above under Trouble Sleeping.
- Thyroid Medication: Did you know that an overactive thyroid can cause attention problems? When I was being diagnosed with ADHD my doctor actually suggested we check my thyroid to make sure that it was really ADHD and not a thyroid problem. Turns out I had an under active thyroid but thats beside the point.